On June 15, 2020, City Council passed a revised ordinance making changes to the City's current trash hauler license requirements. The revised ordinance supports the City's dedication to sustainability and increased recycling. While the revised ordinance will not take effect until July 1, 2021, the ordinance made several changes to the requirements for a current trash hauler's license application. The City will continue to allow all licensed waste hauling companies to provide services as they move to adhere to the revised ordinance and licensing requirements.
Under the revised ordinance, Arvada City Code Section 90-57, Recycling Requirement, haulers providing residential, curb-side waste pickup must now include recycling carts to all residential customers, unless the customer resides in a multi-family building with eight units or more.
Since the approved revision of this ordinance, the City team worked to define and implement the milestones associated with this new program. Highlights include the following.
- Documented all eligible addresses which met requirements of the ordinance.
- Reached out and documented information on HOAs. This data will be used to enhance communication.
- Identified and documented key aspects of the program.
- Created citywide communication and FAQs.
- Worked with the Arvada Sustainability Advisory Committee to assist with community outreach.
- Upgraded the utility billing software to bill for waste collection service within the current water billing statement.
- Selected cart vendor and prepared for cart staging, assembly, and delivery.
- Prepared website and post card for resident cart selection.
- Worked with The Recycling Partnership and Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on grant requirements to assist with purchasing recycling carts ($980,000) and education ($32,000).
- Communicated through the following avenues:
|Electronic ||arvada.org, [email protected], social media, program videos|
|Print||Arvada Report, newsletters, utility bill flyers, press releases, postcards|
|In Person||presentations, interviews|